Friday 4 October 2013

Sunset over Phuket...

 My wife and I spent the New Year in 2013 in Phuket, Thailand, where we took a couple of island hopping day trips.

Along with my Leica digital camera, I also took my recently acquired Praktica BX20 35mm film camera, which was made in East Germany about 30 years ago by Pentacon, which is regarded as a 'sister' company of the Carl Zeiss company.

The camera has behind-the-lens exposure meter where the correct exposure is made by the photographer who either sets the desired lens settling or shutter speed, then matches electronic flicking lights through the viewfinder.

The camera is also manual focus, so the photographer
has to set the correct distance through the focusing screen in the viewfinder. So it takes some time when initially using the camera to remember to wind the film to the next frame, set the correct exposure, set the correct distance...then, take your photo! However, after taking a number of photos, like learning to drive a car, the process becomes easier and quicker.

I was delighted to capture these beautiful shots of the sun setting. A 28-70mm manual Pentacon lens was fitted to my Praktica BX20, and I was using Kodak 400ASA film


My Praktica BX20

No comments:

Post a Comment